University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota

Go to chemistry home page.

Department of Chemistry Finance and Payroll Services Office


Finance and Payroll Services
Department of Chemistry
141 Smith Hall
207 Pleasant St SE
Minneapolis, MN 5545
Fax: 612-624-3409

Quick Links

Employee Reimbursements




Proposal Preparation

How to read ChartField Strings


Chemistry Payroll Staff use materials provided by hiring managers to create the official hiring paperwork required for collegiate and University policy. Staff assist in the verification of work eligibility, also known as I9 verification. Staff also administer the University’s electronic time sheets and absence reporting system for Chemistry employees.


Requirements of the hiring process vary by the type of employee.

For undergraduate students, email authorization is required from the hiring authority. The email should include the student’s name, id, the start and end date of the job, and the rate of pay. Unless other information is received, the job code 2221,used for undergraduate student support positions, will be used. Undergraduates in Chemistry are typically paid between $10.50 and $12.00 per hour.

To hire a recent graduate, please see the information on Temporary and Casual Employees.

Graduate Student hires are handled through the Student Services Office in 115 Smith Hall. Post-doctoral associates have to apply, and be hired, via the University’s hiring system, The hiring of a foreign national needs to be coordinated by Chris Lundby.

The complete hiring file for a post-doc will include a signed offer letter, proof of their graduate degree (translated into English if not already in English) and demographic information on the University’s Human Resources Information Sheet.

Temporary and casual (temp/cas) employees are those hired on a limited-time basis, or for a limited number of hours per week. Employees can be employed for EITHER up to 14 hours per week on an ongoing basis or for 67 working days per calendar year. The complete hiring file for a temp/cas will include a signed offer letter and demographic information on the University’s Human Resources Information Sheet.


All employees are required to document eligibility to work in the USA. This must be done within the first three days of their employment.

All employees will need to visit to begin the verification process. On the Welcome page, enter 13636 in the Employee Name or Code field and click Go. Enter your personal information into the website, referencing the instructions provided on that site as needed. Please choose "College of Science and Engineering" in the "location" drop down menu.

For citizens or U. S. permanent residents, Chemistry staff are able to review their identification documents. Foreign nationals will need to visit 545 WBOB (The West Bank Office Building, 1300 S 2nd Street, Minneapolis) for document review.

Information for Foreign Nationals

All Foreign Nationals who will be on the University of Minnesota payroll need to apply for a U.S. Social Security number. Once you apply for a number at the Social Security Administration office you will need to take the S.S. receipt and your VISA paperwork to the University Payroll office at 545 West Bank Office Building. The Payroll office will work with you to enter your VISA and tax treaty information in the University system. At the end of that visit you will receive a form detailing the documents that were completed. Please bring this form with you to the Department of Chemistry Finance and Payroll Services Office. This is needed to set you up in the payroll system.